Sunday, December 4, 2011

Training Goals

I'm not sure if you've noticed, but my training has been...um, well, inconsistent. Tim and David are big fans of setting goals, even if they are really small. In an effort to keep myself motivated and focused, here are my training goals for this week:

(1) Get my butt to class at least 3 times.

Lately it seems that I cannot even get motivated to get to the gym, let alone train. So, baby steps.

(2) Spar at least 2 time per class.

I've said before that I have issues sparring with guys, and I tend to be a chicken. This is even worse recently. I totally chicken out. My hubs tells me the only way to improve is mat time mat time mat time. So, more sparring it is!!

(3) Spar with a blue belt/higher belt.

Another recommendation from the hubs to accommodate my issues rolling with guys and the feeling that I always just get smashed from the bottom anyway is that I roll with a higher belt. So, he suggested that try to roll with a higher belt to get to actually try technique and movement.

(4) Attempt a scissor sweep from closed guard.

I have a great closed guard submission game, but I freak out and chicken out about opening it up -- I am convinced I will get passed. Problem is that my school is so great at breaking guard, that my closed guard game goes nowhere during training there. So, I need to work my scissor sweep from closed guard. So terrified. Beyond words.

(5) Under no circumstances, for whatever reason, eat gluten, legumes, flour, or sugar that is not from a piece of fresh fruit.

In addition to being completely inconsistent in my training, I have gained 15 pounds due to poor eating. Since I'm only 5'2" and was already about 15 heavier than I should have been to begin with, this is not good. I'll cop to vanity as one of the reasons I want to lose weight, but also if I want to complete, it just doesn't make sense to be more than 130. I've competed at 160 before, and those girls are 6 inches taller!! It's ridiculous. Also, my vertigo is apparently triggered in part by gluten and legumes (and caffeine and chocolate and red wine and cheese...) and so it really is a good thing to cut those things out. All in all, I just need to try and eat a cleaner, less processed diet with healthier fats and see what happens. My weight is fine for my competition December 18, and I honestly do not know if I will compete again after that. If I do decide to compete again, I'd like to be in a weight class with women closer to my height and that means my weight needs to be closer to 130. So long, pasta...

No comments:

Post a Comment