Sunday, November 20, 2011

Another Womens' Open Mat!

Ok, so it was a sort of impromptu open mat, but still!

After the amazing turn out last weekend, one of the women from Let's Roll BJJ in Torrance contacted me on Facebook and asked if I would be at Robot's open mat today with any of our women. Are you kidding?!?! Tell me women are coming to an open mat and I will start wrangling up as many women as I can find! Sunday also happens to be the slower open mat at Robot, so we had the place mostly to ourselves. All total we had Kate, Jane, Erica, Sus, Alexis, Bri, and me today. Not too bad for only three days' notice!

I didn't do as well today as I would have liked, but I did spar for about 90 minutes with only a few breaks. That's more than I have done in a really long time, and so that's the victory I am focusing on today. I also worked my guard pull tripod sweep in early on in the day with Pat, and realize that I need to work it work it work it as I am coming up on the December tournaments. If I cannot get the stand-up down, I lose. Giva and Tim and Dave are right -- the first 30 seconds of a match are everything. You win and lose it right there. I have a solid guard pull that gets stronger and stronger the more I practice it, but for some reason when I get on the mat during a competition it falls to PIECES. I also have a pretty solid closed guard, but I chicken out with anything other than a hip bump sweep from it (i.e., anything that requires me to open my guard) because I am terrified of getting smash passed.

So, things to work on before my December tournaments:

(1) Don't be such a chicken with the closed guard sweeps.

(2) Practice starting from standing and pulling guard over and over and over and over.

(3) Keep my hips down during guard passing (Tim and I talked about this today; my hips are always too high. Always. It makes it almost impossible for me to get around and complete a pass).

No comments:

Post a Comment