Tuesday, December 6, 2011

93 Guard and a Free Back Adjustment

I made it to class last night. Victory!!!

Though I still don't feel stable enough to do the take-down portion of class, since the hubs is hobbled with an injured ankle I practiced my positions on him during that portion and got a good warm-up sweat on.

We are moving on to the 93 Guard, and I think I'm really going to like it. I have issues with the Butterfly Guard but 93 feels natural to me so far. Alex was there, and she is such a hilarious trip and fun to drill with that I was in giggles and fits the whole time.

When we moved onto sparring, Jane declared it girl-on-girl sparring night since we had four girls there (Jane, Bri, Alex, and me) and it was a lot of fun. I didn't attempt a scissor sweep (such a CHICKEN when it comes to opening my guard), but I did get submissions and started the arm-across series, though didn't finish it. I managed to pass Jane's crazy guard, but couldn't do any thing from mount and got bumped off and, of course, triangled. Damn. Bri gave me a free, unintentional back adjustment. I was in turtle and she was getting her hooks in to stretch me out, and did a very good job, and I heard my entire back from my hips to my shoulders crack. I may have also yelped, considering that she stopped and asked if she was being too rough. :) Bri is brand new to Robot and started out as a wrestler, and then came to BJJ in no-gi, and is just picking up gi BJJ. She moves SO well. I am so screwed when she figures out how to work submissions.

It was a really good night! I'm super excited to get back on the mat and start working sweeps and submissions from 93. I know Tuesdays are not a girl night at Robot, so I'll have to drill with boys, but I'm up for it.

3 comments:

  1. Veronica, I stumbled on your blog through Google and am glad I did. I train at another Lotus Club affiliate up in Washington state. Glad you're back to training. I enjoyed reading through your older posts and hope you keep at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Steve!! I'm actually originally from Washington State and have friends up in Seattle. My husband and I are looking forward to training up at the Renton Lotus Club the next time we get up to that area, so maybe we'll get to roll!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that Tony Smith's school? I actually train with James Foster in Kent, and just recently moved over to an affiliate in Maple Valley. It would be great to roll with you. Giva came out and did a seminar at James' school just a few weeks back. Put a stripe on his black belt and shared some great stuff with us. I'm very jealous that you get to train with him directly. He's top tier.

    ReplyDelete