Monday, April 30, 2012

Wrist Wrecked

Last Monday I decided to get tough and stay for the advanced class.  It was great.  Even during the warm-ups I was really feeling like I was going to get a workout like I used to get when I first started training.  And we were going over one of my favorite positions -- kesagatame. 

I LOVE this position.  You are on your opponent's chest, on your side, facing them, with an underhook under their arm and your legs scissored out to the side, driving in to them.  It is a really great way to control an opponent using little energy if you get the positioning right, which allows you to calm yourself and think about strategy.  My favorite thing is an armbar from kesagatame, where you get the hook under the head and grab your own leg.  Their arm is now trapped between your body and your leg, and you simply push down on the arm with your foot.  BOOM!! Armbarred. 

We drilled and drilled the position and getting the weight correctly, and then we moved to positional sparring.  I was trying to use a technique Tim and talked about to secure my position over Jane, where my arm was directly under her, on her spine.  Well, I did it wrong and right as I realized it was dangerous, she bumped and squirmed to escape and the wrist that was under her felt as if it twisted all the way around and it made horrible snapping sounds.  I couldn't move it.  I was terrified. 

I went to Urgent Care the next morning to get x-rays, and was relieved that it wasn't broken.  I was given a compression splint to wear through Friday, and instructed to ice it as much as possible.  And so, I was out and sitting on the sidelines for a week.  My wrist feels stiff and a little tender, but nothing that some tape can't take care of, so I'm going to try and make it to class tonight. 

I could really do without an injury every other week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment